Satyanarayana on track for CVC approval

Vol 16, PW 23 (13 Jun 13) People & Policy
     

Incoming ONGC director onshore K.

Satyanarayana is about to receive formal confirmation of his appointment. PETROWATCH learns Satyanarayana - whose name is linked to a ‘cash-for-jobs’ racket at ONGC - was cleared for appointment on June 4 by R.

Sri Kumar, a commissioner at the anti-corruption Central Vigilance Commission (CVC). “Only Kumar’s signatures are awaited,” says a source, referring to CVC boss Pradeep Kumar.

"Once Kumar signs it will be sent to the cabinet for formal approval." Kumar’s delay in signing, we hear, is nothing sinister, only because the CVC boss is dealing with a family bereavement.

Satyanarayana’s imminent appointment hasn’t stopped anxious Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) officials writing to the oil ministry on June 7 asking for an update and the name of the second-ranked candidate - just in case! After all, this post has been vacant since October 1 last year when AK Hazarika retired. In response, the oil ministry is believed to have told the DoPT not to worry, that barring the death in Kumar's house, there is no obstacle to Satyanarayana's appointment.

In February Andhra Pradesh police gave a clean chit to Satyanarayana, following allegations that he, his son Kotipally Satish Kumar and others took bribes to get people ONGC jobs. Satyanarayana was selected for the director onshore post by the PESB on March 9, 2012 but his appointment was delayed as the CVC initially refused to approve his file without CBI and Andhra police clearances.

ONGC chairman Sudhir Vasudeva supports Satyanarayana and has been pressing his case with oil minister Moily.