CBI investigates Satyanarayana in ONGC job scam

Vol 16, PW 2 (09 Aug 12) People & Policy
     

CBI investigators are probing an alleged job recruitment scam involving ONGC group general manager K.

Satyanarayana, casting a shadow over his selection as the next director onshore. CBI officers visited ONGC’s 11 High Office in Mumbai on July 23.

“They spent close to an hour at ONGC,” says a source. “The CBI questioned the HR department about contract workers recruited in Mumbai.

” When contacted, a senior ONGC HR officer denied any CBI visit took place. Yet three ONGC employees insist it did, as does a drilling contractor and an oilfield service provider close to ONGC.

If so it comes as a blow to fifty-seven year old Satyanarayana, whose file was cleared by the PM-headed Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) last month to replace director onshore AK Hazarika who retires on September 30 aged 60. “His file must have been cleared by the CVC (Central Vigilance Commission) before it went to the ACC,” says a Satyanarayana supporter.

“How can the CBI begin an investigation after his appointment has been cleared” Another source speculates the PMO must have ordered the CBI probe. “The CBI does not act without orders from the top,” we hear.

Satyanarayana’s extended family are accused of offering jobs at ONGC to people in his home state Andhra Pradesh in return for payment of Rs2 lakh or $4000. He has previously denied to this report his involvement.

Oil minister Jaipal Reddy, also from Andhra Pradesh, is the only one who can save Satyanarayana, claims another source. “Satyanarayana travelled to Hyderabad on July 25 (two days after the CBI visit to ONGC),” he adds.

“I think he met Reddy’s ‘men’ to ‘sort out’ the CBI case.” Satyanarayana did not respond to calls or text messages to his mobile.

LNG Summit